Wednesday 3 April 2013

Home Sweet Cyborg


This wire frame may look like I've created a home for a tunnel spider, but it is in fact a home morphed out of my own cyborgs body.

While I was impressed with some of my fellow students abilities in ArchiCAD to make nice human homes, I felt the stock tables and chairs weren't suitable for an elastic cyborg living post nuclear war. (Perhaps radiation has something to say for his consistency?)

Instead, my cyborg creates his home by stretching it out of his own body! This is my first exploratory model:






In the last elevation you can see the form of an arm that wasn't completely morphed into the building. While I initially joked the house could wave goodby to you as you leave for work, I'm now considering whether the home should retain a level of humanity and awareness.

It's an intriguing concept, how much we relate to our homes and connect with them on a personal level. Having lived in the same home for the majority of my life, I feel like it's a true extension and representation of my family. I believe simple rituals like eating dinner at our small kitchen table every night have a large effect on our family dynamic.

So I'm going to push the idea of our connection to our homes with my cyborg. Maybe the home retains the ability to communicate with my cyborg, to combat loneliness in an uninhabited city. Perhaps the house understands when my cyborg is sleeping, so that it can shrink down in size to hold heat overnight more effectively. Or do the walls literally have ears?

No comments:

Post a Comment