Tuesday 2 April 2013

Homes for Cyborgs

We've moved onto the next workshop in Design 1, called Homes for Cyborgs. Really interesting premise formed by these two question:
  • If architecture serves humanity what happens to architecture if that human factor is changed?
  • Shelter is one of the 5 necessities of life, but is it architecture? What or when does a house become a home or architecture?
So far we have designed our cyborgs by scanning our bodies into the computer program Autodesk 123D Catch. Neat software, you take photos of objects from every angle you can, and the software stitches them together to form a 3D mesh.


After scanning ourselves in, we had to choose three things to further develop our cyborg; an activity/ritual it does, an object and a narrative related to that activity. I initially chose the activity to be designing other cyborgs, photographed my adjustable ruler and chose Studio Ghibli's film Howl's Moving Castle with the idea the castle was something like my cyborg could design.



With this purpose in mind I decided to create a new mesh to better describe the act of drawing cyborgs. But upon seeing the new mesh, with a second torso forming on the back of my cyborg, I took the idea of creating cyborgs to a new level: my cyborg now clones itself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment